Monday, March 21, 2016

Where to Go from Here

So, we're working on the Transterpreter? That's great! But, how? In my last post, I mentioned that we were working on building a package for the Atom text editor from GitHub. Our package should take the Occam-pi code written in the editor, send it to the Transterpreter server for compilation, then send the compiled code to an Arduino.

Why is this an important contribution to the Transterpreter?

Enter, Plumbing (Plumb2 in it's current state). Plumbing is a set of tools developed for the Transterpreter project to provide anyone with the ability to program on small platforms like the Arduino. Even though plumbing already provides a way to remotely compile code through the Transterpreter, there is very little support for it. In fact, the GitHub site for the concurrency organization (which hosts the Transterpreter, Plumb, and all supporting code) only has 4 contributors. Only one of them seems to still consistently make changes to the code in these repositories.

Hmmmm, something seems wrong.

While researching this aspect of the Transterpreter (Plumbing, that is), I am starting to wonder if I fully grasp what Plumbing is. I took a break from writing and have reached out to my team members to see if we could possibly define what we are working on before we dive in and potentially mess up or leave major aspects out. Sorry to leave you in a state of suspense, but I will have an update as soon as I am comfortable with my knowledge of Plumbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment